FORGET THE YEAR-END RETROSPECTIVES and “best-of” lists; I don’t have the attention span or the memory to recall if a certain movie or album came out this year, or the year prior. And while it would be easy to keep a running list during the year, I look back far too much as it is, so why encourage more of that? So on that note, I’d rather look forward to what’s ahead.
With 2019 imminent, here’s a quick list of things I’m looking forward to, things I want to do, try, see, hear, etc. While it’s customary to make all sorts of new year’s resolutions and have goals, for me those don’t really change from year-to-year (be present, don’t dwell on the past, work out more, do more, have fun, value the time with my son, to name but a few). Besides, having things to look forward to kind of fits under the banner of goals and resolutions, when you think about it a bit.
So without further ado…
- Spending quality time with the people most important to me. Especially with my son.
- Travel places – doesn’t have to be far (though I would like to get back to L.A. again), road trips will suffice – there will be some of those visiting potential colleges with son.
- Working out: my goal is to work out even more, as well as lose about 10 lbs. But its not about the weight or a certain number, it’s more about clothes fitting and feeling better. I’m in very good shape now, but can be better, healthier.
- Spending less time on social media – something I’ve been trying to do for awhile now. Granted social media is a way I try and get the word out about this blog (visit Facebook.com/weaponofselfdistraction) and the Podcast, and I like to keep up with what family members are doing, so just deleting my accounts isn’t really an option. But I can still spend less time – an easy way to feel down about what you’re up to, or don’t have, is seeing all the posts of other, seemingly happier folks.
- Listening to more NEW music. Funny that I have to make it a point to discover new music because I love to do just that. But between listening to podcasts, binge-watching, listening to and re-discovering old(er) music favorites and talk radio, I miss a lot of new music.
- More podcasting! It’s a fun hobby, I want more guests and I like to stay creative and learn new things.
- See more live music – two shows immediately come to mind: both the Winery Dogs, my beloved Cheap Trick and KISS will be in the Twin Cities area in 2019.
- See more live comedy – get out to the open mic nights at Acme – and possibly get up there myself. Really. If not now, when?
- The seventh and final season of Veep on HBO. Coming this Spring, and I am psyched. It’s simply one of the best, and funniest sitcoms, ever
- Buying a car. I need a car, and can only afford a used one, and the process, the decision and spending the money can drive me crazy and give me a bit of anxiety and dread. And I love cars! Instead, why not look forward to looking, buying and enjoying that next car?
- I’m looking forward to reading more – there’s a lot of books I want to read, or re-read. Provided I stay committed to not spending as much time on social media, I should be able to do that.
- More home improvement projects: paint the garage and the office, replace some windows, improve the landscape. I do look forward to the never-ending things you have to do when you’re a homeowner.